Thursday, May 2, 2013

*INTRODUCTION TO THE OVERBLOWN*

Alright... first post GO!

This is my new blog, entitled "Comically Overblown."  Those of you who arrived here because of my other blog are already aware of this, but I've been running a fairly successful blog entitled "Twisted in Tokyo" (twistedintokyo.blogspot.com), which chronicles the three years I've spent in Japan being ridiculous at Japanese rock concerts.  But no worries!  Despite indefinite hiatus, that blog isn't going to be deleted, so if you're interested in what's behind Door #2, go ahead and check it out!

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and I'll be leaving Japan and returning to the United States in about three months.  There's simply no point in keeping up a blog about Japan or Japanese concerts if I'm not actually in Japan.  Furthermore, the blog was becoming a scattered mess of topics without any real focus.  For this blog, I want to try something a little more... thematic.

SO WHAT IS COMICALLY OVERBLOWN ALL ABOUT?!

It's about comics!  Get it?! Yeah, I know it's awful.

Okay, so it's not just about comics.  It's about rediscovering the inner-nerd, which can be anything from comic books to video games to movies, although I'd like to keep a slight focus on comic book-related material when I can.

WHY?!

Well, I was raised on the stuff.  When I was growing up, I was pretty much the only girl in my neighborhood, so I wound up spending all my time hanging out with boys my age instead.  While other girls were off playing My Little Pony, I was hitting other kids with Nightcrawler action figures, watching Batman Beyond, kicking Bowser's ass, and tunneling into the Neolithic Age beneath my neighbor's sandbox.

So... what happened?

Life.  Got to school and discovered that the boys no longer wanted to hang out with me, and the girls all thought I was weird.  In a desperate attempt to fit in, I quietly changed the channel from Dragon Ball Z to Sailor Moon, pushed the Pokemon cards under my bed, and tried to figure out why all the girls were so into horses.  After about several years of awkwardness and confusion, I just kinda forgot about who I used to be, and eventually I grew into the (still awkward) adult I am today.  But over the course of the last few years, there's been this sort of Nerd Renaissance, where all the things I was so ashamed of as a child once more became popular among my age group.  Slowly - very slowly - I began to remember who I really was.  I woke up one day and realized I'd become a parody of myself - or, rather, a parody of who I thought I should be.  So I said "no!" to oppression and whipped out a copy of Batman Arkham Asylum to try and find myself again.

Sometime around the release of The Avengers (two fucking months late in Japan!) I threw my arms up in the air and shouted "FUCK IT!" to the world.  "This is what I like!"  "This is who I am!"  "You gotta problem with it, kiss my overgrown ass!"

But there's just one problem...

THE PROBLEM:

Besides the fact that I've completely forgotten how to draw...

I don't know anything anymore!  I've become a lost soul!  I've been avoiding the nerd scene for at least fifteen years and I have no idea what's going on!  Comic book characters that used to be household names to me have been completely forgotten.  Movies I used to love have faded into the back of my mind, and movies I should've watched have never been seen.  Worst of all, despite how much I've been enjoying the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies, I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material!

And I'm not okay with that.

So here's what I want to do...

THE PROPOSAL:

I'm going to dedicate this blog to learning all the things I should've learned before.  Little by little, I'm going to read comic books, watch movies, get to know nerdy stuff, and record my adventures here.  If you think I'm not serious about this, you should know that I already have a four-day pass for the New York Comic Con and I don't even live in New York.

Of course, I'm perfectly aware of what this means - it means I'll look like a fucking idiot.  Comic book lovers will roll their eyes at me and call me a n00b, and I'm sure people won't hesitate to call me out on my poorly-formed opinions.

But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?  So what if I'm twenty-three?  Better late than never.

So help me out, people!  If I write something that isn't factual or shows a poor understanding of the subject material, lemme know!  I'm here to learn!

I'm also here to write.  Like "Twisted in Tokyo," I'm using this blog as a chance to improve my skills.  I'm hoping to find some kind of career in writing, and this blog gives me the chance to test myself out.  My favorite part about writing over at "Twisted in Tokyo" was the random opinion posts, rants, and reviews.  So now I'm going to make a whole blog out of that!  And, for those of you who have ever read that blog, you already fully appreciate what "Comically Overblown" is referring to.  Hint: it's my inability to shut the fuck up. 

And that's basically it!

So I'll end this introduction with a series of pictures of me making an ass out of myself at an Avengers display in Tokyo:




In my defense, Gangnam Style had just come out.



Don't worry, if you follow this blog there will be plenty more pictures of me making a fool of myself in public!  It's a personal hobby!

First post up will be my Iron Man 3 review, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment